Like most games, Oni comes with a range of cheat codes.
When playing the Mac or Windows version of Oni, you are required to finish the game in order to unlock cheats, but the cheats can also be unlocked prematurely by editing the save-game file. However, if you have the Daodan DLL installed in Windows, or are using an Intel Mac build of Oni, cheats will be unlocked even when the game has not been beaten (the AE automatically installs the Daodan DLL in Windows and the Intel build on Macs).
While playing a game, press F1 (or whatever is bound to "pausescreen") and type one or more of the following (the confirmation message will appear if done correctly).
|Input sequence||Confirmation message||Effect||Persists on level load||Scripting equivalent|
|shapeshifter||Change Characters Enabled/Disabled||While playing, press F8 to cycle forwards or Shift+F8 to go backwards||YES||chr_set_class(0, ONCC_name); (3)|
|liveforever||Invincibility Enabled/Disabled||Konoko takes no melee, weapon or falling damage||NO||invincible=1; / invincible=0; (1)|
|touchofdeath||Omnipotence Enabled/Disabled||Konoko kills enemies in a single hit||NO||omnipotent=1; / omnipotent=0;|
|canttouchthis||Unstoppable Enabled/Disabled||Konoko can't be stunned, thrown, knocked down or blown up||NO||unstoppable=1; / unstoppable=0; (1)|
|fatloot||Fat Loot Received||Player's quantity of ammo and hypos is set to max||chr_givepowerup / give_powerup (1)|
|glassworld||Glass Furniture Enabled/Disabled||Makes most objects breakable with gunfire or shockwaves||YES||p3_furniture_breakable=1; / p3_furniture_breakable=0;|
|winlevel||Instantly Win Level||Level is won upon exit of the pause screen||win (2)|
|loselevel||Instantly Lose Level||Level is lost upon exit of the pause screen||lose (2)|
|bighead||Big Head Enabled/Disabled||Everybody's head is 4 times its normal size||NO||chr_big_head=1; / chr_big_head=0;|
|minime||Mini Mode Enabled/Disabled||Player's size is 0.25 times normal||NO||chr_mini_me=1; / chr_mini_me=0;|
|superammo||Super Ammo Mode Enabled/Disabled||Player's guns are always full with ammo||NO|
|thedayismine||Developer Mode Enabled/Disabled||Toggles Developer Mode (requires Daodan DLL to enable in Windows)||YES|
|reservoirdogs||Last Man Standing Enabled/Disabled||AIs fight amongst themselves||YES|
|roughjustice||Gatling Guns Enabled/Disabled||Player's guns fire X times faster||YES|
|chenille||Daodan Power Enabled/Disabled||Player gets permanent Daodan glow and boss shield||NO||chr_super(0, 1); chr_super(0, 0); (2)|
|behemoth||Godzilla Mode Enabled/Disabled||Player is (roughly) double-sized||NO||chr_mini_me=1; / chr_mini_me=0;|
|elderrune||Regeneration Enabled/Disabled||Konoko regenerates at the rate of 1 HP/sec||YES|
|moonshadow||Phase Cloak Enabled/Disabled||Player gets a permanent Phase Cloak||NO||give_powerup(invis, -1);|
give_powerup(invis, 1); (3)
|munitionfrenzy||Weapons Locker Created||All weapons appear at the player's feet for 15 secs|
|fistsoflegend||Fists Of Legend Enabled/Disabled||Konoko's combat moves knock enemies back||NO|
|killmequick||Ultra Mode Enabled/Disabled||AIs don't pause between combos (a little tougher)||YES||chr_ultra_mode (4)|
|carousel||Slow Motion Enabled/Disabled||Permanent slow motion||NO||slowmo (5)|
|Lime||cheat applies to any character you chr_focus to (via scripting). When you chr_focus to another, the effect stays with the old one.|
|Fuchsia||cheat applies to Konoko even if you chr_focus to another character|
|White||cheat isn't player-character-specific|
|Black||no equivalent available|
|White||exact equivalent and that's it|
|Fuchsia||script only works for Konoko, use chr_focus and cheats for other characters|
|Lime||script given works for Konoko, but other characters (whether you chr_focus to them or not) can be done too|
|Yellow||no exact equivalent, extra work required|
Tips to scripters
|(1)||Use the chr_invincible and chr_unstoppable modifiers for generic characters.|
|(2)||The generic chr_super modifier is the only way. Only a few characters (Konoko, Muro) have Daodan glow particles.|
As for the boss shield, chr_boss_shield can only give it to a character (no way to take it away)
|(3)||Entering an incorrect class/ONCC name will cause Oni to crash.|
|(1)||You can use either of the generic give_powerup and chr_givepowerup modifiers.|
- give_powerup usage :
- first two arguments are powerup type and amount (optional)
- The third argument is the character's ID (0 by default)
- chr_givepowerup usage :
- first argument is the character's name or script ID (required)
- problem with reproducing the fatloot effect :
- fatloot fills up hypos, ammos and cells to a maximum of 6
- generally, you don't know how many of those the player already has
- solution (if you really want to mimic fatloot exactly) :
- take away all the player's powerups, the only way to do this being to clear the inventory, e.g. chr_inv_reset(0)
- then use e.g. chr_givepowerup(0, hypo, 6) etc.
|(2)||The engine does not actually call win or lose here.|
- So you can not gain 2 custom cheats by redefining win and lose.
|(3)||You can use either of the generic give_powerup and chr_givepowerup modifiers (see above).|
- moonshadow is the same as taking the Phase Cloak away then doing e.g. chr_givepowerup(0, invis, -1).
- problem with reproducing the moonshadow effect :
- generally, you don't know how much Phase Cloak the character already has
- solution (if you really want to mimic moonshadow exactly) :
- drain the player's Phase Cloak with the built-in begin_cutscene(); end_cutscene(); (only affects the player)
- or somehow make sure the character has no phase cloak
- then use e.g. chr_givepowerup(0, invis, -1)
|(4)||You must use the generic chr_ultra_mode modifier on every character you want to be "ultra".|
- it doesn't seem to have any visible effect though, so don't bother :)
|(5)||You can use the slowmo command, or play with draw_every_frame and draw_every_frame_multiple.|
- The scripted slowmo doesn't have a permanent effect : slowmo(300) gives you 300 frames (5 seconds) of slowmo.
- Extra work is required to make it last (implemented in Oni Menu, no wiki page yet).
- liveforever, canttouchthis and touchofdeath can be detected at runtime by custom scripts.
- One can then ignore the cheat or trigger a custom event (kill or hurt the cheater, etc, etc).
- glassworld and bighead are directly detectable too
- shapeshifter is indirectly detectable by anim watching
- minime and behemoth are not detectable
- Other cheats like fatloot, chenille, munitionfrenzy and moonshadow can only be made useless, not detected.
Tips to gamers
- chenille gives you the visual effect of Daodan overpower, but your combat moves don't deal extra damage.
- To really stay in Daodan overpower forever, use elderrune, then use a hypo at full health.
- Overpower drains at the rate of 1 hitpoint per second, which is exactly compensated by elderrune.
- You're then virtually frozen in real overpower, as long as you don't get hurt. You must get down to normal health to take another hypo.
The PS2 version of the game does not need to be beaten in order to unlock cheats. While playing the game, press the SELECT button and highlight the HELP button. Then enter one of the following (you'll hear a sound if you did it correctly). Note that the first 6 inputs are always the same "master code" of L2, L1, L2, ▢, ◯, ▢.
|Effect||Input Sequence||PC Equivalent|
|Change The Character||L2, L1, L2, ▢, ◯, ▢, L2, L2, L2, L2...
(Hit the L2 button until you've selected a character)
|One Shot One Kill||L2, L1, L2, ▢, ◯, ▢, L3, R3, ◯, ▢||touchofdeath|
|Unlimited Health||L2, L1, L2, ▢, ◯, ▢, R3, L3, R3, ◯||liveforever|
|Extra Powerful Punches And Kicks||L2, L1, L2, ▢, ◯, ▢, R3, L3, ◯, ▢||fistsoflegend|
|Small Konoko||L2, L1, L2, ▢, ◯, ▢, L3, R3, ▢, ◯||minime|
|Unlimited Phase Cloak||L2, L1, L2, ▢, ◯, ▢, L1, R3, L2, L3||moonshadow|
|Big Head Mode||L2, L1, L2, ▢, ◯, ▢, START, ▢, ◯, START||bighead|
|Unlimited Ammo||L2, L1, L2, ▢, ◯, ▢, L2, L2, L1, L3||superammo|
|Huge Konoko||L2, L1, L2, ▢, ◯, ▢, R3, ▢, ◯, L3||behemoth|
|Hard Mode||L2, L1, L2, ▢, ◯, ▢, R3, L3, ◯, ▢||killmequick|
|Instant Level Completion||L2, L1, L2, ▢, ◯, ▢, L3, R3, L2, L1||winlevel|
Additional cheats can be unlocked with hex-patching; see Oni (PlayStation 2).