|WIKI WORK IS FUN!|
|ENOUGH FOR A JOKE OR TWO|
THEN IT GETS BORING
- If you're not familiar with wikis, see OniGalore:About. If you're not confident about editing a wiki, see Help:Editing.
Here are some ongoing projects, and ideas for projects, on the wiki. Whatever in this list looks interesting to you, feel free to tackle it, even if you only have a little time here and there. However, if you are leaving a project half-done until you can resume it, please note that under the item in this list. Thanks for whatever you can do to contribute.
General wiki work
- Look at the list of flagged articles and see if there's anything you can help out with. There are a number of articles which need to be updated or finished.
- Just browse Special:Wantedpages, and pick an interesting topic to write about!
- Categorize our images of the different enemy classes and characters into the appropriate sub-categories of Category:Factions and Category:Characters. The classes that still need pictures to be categorized under them are the Syndicate's Strikers, Elite Strikers, and Tankers, and the TCTF's Cops, Troopers, SWAT Troopers, Black Ops and SWAT Black Ops, and under the WCG category we need to tag pictures of Mercenary Snipers, Thugs, Civilians, Scientists, and Security Guards.
- Images hosted on other domains should be localized (uploaded to this wiki, and the external links changed to point to our local copies) to protect against the external sites going down. As a secondary priority we should also copy over images that are currently hosted on other subdomains of oni2.net; though these are less likely to go away, there is no way for the subdomain owner to know whether their images are being linked to if they suddenly get the urge to do some spring cleaning on their account.
PlayStation 2 port
The community has always tended to overlook the PlayStation 2 port of the game, for fairly obvious reasons -- it doesn't play as well, and it's impractical to mod a disc-based console game. Nevertheless, we ought to have a page like PS2 Oni vs. PC Oni, modeled on Windows Oni vs. Mac Oni, which explains the differences in PS2 Oni from Win/Mac Oni. We should also devote at least a tiny amount of research to the contents of the game data. Might some unexpected resources be in there? First we need to know how to read the game data. Based on a cursory examination, resources were moved around and re-packed, but one would expect that the basic binary format of the tags has not changed. Thus, it would be nice to have a page like OBD:PS2 that gives at least a high-level view of the binary data (e.g., how the .dat files are now packed).
In general you should peruse the category for articles that need finishing, though note the halted BSL project below.
The revamp of the BSL docs that was originally laid out here is on hold because the system we were using is too rickety and hacked together. The proper approach to interlinked pages that read from the same central pool of data is the Semantic MediaWiki extension, so we'll focus on implementing that at some point in the future.
Oni 2 and beyond...
Some fans use the wiki to write sequels, prequels, interquels (what may have happened to Konoko in the time gaps between the original chapters, e.g., between Chapter 12 and Chapter 13) or even paraquels (e.g., what was happening on the Syndicate side during Oni?). You can then list your work HERE. Just be aware of the rights issues surrounding fan fiction posted on the Internet. Also, plagiarism is not nice, but "Oni 2" can still be influenced by anime/cyberpunk/other references. See HERE to review the influences so far, elaborate on them some more, or point out new ones.