Mouse control issues
| Note from Iritscen: This page is somewhat dated and does not address the more recent issue where mouse movements cause the camera to tilt upward and spin wildly. For this issue, you should do the following:
Windows 8: Right-click Oni.exe, choose "Properties", and check the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" box.
There have been many issues reported on Oni Central Forum about mouse lag or unresponsive controls. This issue is most common to (or only occurs to?) Vista users. It also occured to me (rossy) but appears to have gone away with the latest drivers/updates to my system.
Complete (?) list of Help and Troubleshooting Topics in chronological order
- http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/viewtopic.php?id=149 (old...)
- I didn't check any posts before 746 except for post 149, there could be others between those times and before post 149. --RossyMiles
- http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/viewtopic.php?id=746 ???
- http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/viewtopic.php?id=801 ???
- http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/viewtopic.php?id=824 ???
- http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/viewtopic.php?id=937 ???
Known facts (symptoms) of the issue
- (Probably/usually) exclusive to Windows Vista.
- (Probably/usually) exclusive to multi-core CPUs.
- Fraps reports the game's framerate to be much higher than 60fps. (I'm unsure whether the same data is returned by Oni's internal framerate counter, Ctrl+Shift+Y)
- Higher graphics settings can cause the problem to become less noticable as the framerate gets closer to or below 60. (Try 8x antialiasing in the nVidia Control Panel)
- This suggests that the problem is somehow related to framerate and internal timing issues in Oni.
- Quote from Gumby "If the game runs much faster than 60 clicks, the mouse input data isn't updated fast enough."
- The mouse moves in steps, as if it's on a "grid".
- Combos are hard to pull off as keys are only responsive some of the time, it is also almost impossible to dash.
- This thing is interesting http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssdk/thread/980e5018-3ade-4823-a6dc-5ddbcc3091d5 .
There is no guaranteed fix; the solutions below have been reported to work by some people but have been ineffective for others. In some cases, a combination of some of these fixes might be necessary.
- Force V-sync in the Catalyst/NVIDIA Control Panel (confirmed fix)
- Update your graphics drivers. Do not use Windows Update; instead go to your graphics card's website and download the drivers directly from there. (Nvidia)
- Run Windows Update. Ensure you are on the latest Service Pack for your operating system.
- If you have a multi-core system (Pentium Dual Core, Core 2 Duo, Quad, etc.) there are patched EXEs that force Oni to only run on a single core. See here and here.
- Install the Daodan DLL, which has a "performance patch" that could fix timing errors caused by faulty chipsets. This fix has been reported to work by some people.
- Run in windowed mode or "-noswitch" mode, if you already use windowed mode run in fullscreen.