|Anniversary Edition Seven|
The Anniversary Edition is the result of years of research, work and discussion in the Oni community. The first real release of the Edition was made seven years after Oni's release, hence the original name of the project -- "Seventh Anniversary Edition". The Edition is essentially made up of five parts:
- A framework that allows users to make and distribute mods more easily
- An installer to find and install those mods
- Some tweaks to the game
- The latest patches to the game application
- Some of our modding tools
Since the components of the AE are always being worked on in one way or another, it's not a project with a defined feature set or a planned end to its development.
Here is an example of what each of the five parts of the AE contains. More details on each part can be found in the Directory to the right.
- The framework globalizes some game data so that you can mod more freely; it also uses a package format to make it easier to distribute mods.
- The installer browses the Oni Mod Depot and allows you to selectively install only the mods that you want.
- The core mod packages that are automatically installed make basic, non-controversial improvements for veteran players like unlocking all moves from the start, and fixing menus and cutscenes.
- The patches are in the form of new game applications (and, in Windows, the Daodan DLL), which provide numerous fixes for bugs and crashes in Oni.
- The core tools are OniSplit, used to export and import game data, and xmlTools allows us to patch exported data.
Here is the Setup app for the latest release, Anniversary Edition Seven:
The Anniversary Edition requires Java (bundled with Windows AE, but not with Mac AE), as well as .NET in Windows and Mono on the Mac.