- This is a Windows-only patch. For information on the patches to Mac versions of Oni and historical patching of Windows Oni, see the Patches category.
- Subpages: Daodan DLL change log
The Daodan DLL is a patch for Oni for Windows that hooks into the game engine to fix bugs and add features. It does this by posing as binkw32.dll, the library that Oni loads so that it can play the game's opening and ending videos. The Daodan fixes issues such as the famous "Blam!" error that occurs on modern machines. It also adds new features such as support for widescreen resolutions and bonus cheat codes. The Daodan DLL was created by SFeLi and then developed further by RossyMiles, Gumby and Alloc.
- 1 C-Daodan
- 2 FASM-Daodan (old)
- Windows XP patch - Fixed Oni crashing at startup on modern computers.
- Windowed mode - Oni can run inside a window properly.
- Custom screen resolutions - Includes many more default screen resolutions.
- BGRA32 (ARGB8888) support.
- Extra cheats - see "Added cheat codes" section below.
- Cheats always enabled; no need to beat game first.
- Extra command line options (for advanced users) - For a list, type "Oni -help".
- DirectInput is used on NT, XP and Vista - Better support for keyboard layouts.
- AIs have ability to properly dodge projectiles.
- Stops fly-in character portraits from being stretched when playing in widescreen.
The DLL enables Developer Mode; go to the pause screen (F1) and type "thedayismine" or simply 'x' to activate it.
The Daodan DLL offers support for the Chinese version of the game as well as multibyte languages in general (see "multibyte" under "Patches" section). It also has the beginnings of some basic localization support, by allowing cheat code names and other strings to be translated. To add an option, look for the options section or type
To enable Chinese support, type:
[Language] Chinese = True
This will load a DLL called xfhsm_oni.dll (apparently provided with Chinese copies of Oni).
Here are the strings that you can replace using the .ini file:
|blam||Replaces body text of the blam window.|
|damn||Replaces title of the blam window.|
|savepoint||Replaces string "Save Point" in Load Game menu (not working?).|
|syndicatewarehouse||Replaces string "Syndicate Warehouse" in Load Game menu (not working?).|
|nameofcheat_on/_off||Replaces name of the built-in cheat code as it appears on the pause screen when code is entered. E.g., "behemoth_on=Gojira Desu!".|
Creating a file called Daodan.ini in the same directory as the Daodan DLL will allow you to configure which patches are enabled, as well as to store configuration settings and language items.
On modern versions of Windows (starting with Windows Vista), Oni does not properly request write access to the directory containing Oni.exe (i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\Oni in typical installs). Windows detects this, and creates a dedicated directory for Oni.exe (and thus Daodan.DLL) to write its files to, located in C:\Users\<Your Username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore. The directory for Oni will reflect its relative path on disk, so in a typical install, it will be at VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Oni. This is where all files output by the program (startup.txt, persist.dat, key_config.txt, etc.) will be located when Oni is not run as an administrator. This is the location where Daodan.ini must be placed if Oni is to be run as a non-administrator.
Inside of the Daodan.ini file, each configuration setting is stored inside a section as a name and value pair. To temporarily disable a setting in the INI, add a '#' to the beginning of the line and the Daodan will ignore it.
As of Daodan v3.7, configuration entries in Daodan.ini are stored in several different sections. To change an entry, add it to the relevant section. If the section does not yet exist, add it to the end of the file and add relevant entries under it. If any entry is omitted, it is set to its default value. Entries are case-insensitive, and spacing does not matter.
Here is an example Daodan.ini file. This example sets the devmode section items to their defaults and disables the cooldown timer patch:
[Devmode] highres_console = True showtriggervolumes = True [gameplay] CooldownTimer = False
Daodan.ini may contain the following sections (names are case-insensitive):
- devmode (Developer Mode Configuration)
- gameplay (Gameplay Configuration)
- graphics (Graphics Configuration)
- language (Language Configuration)
- modding (Modding Configuration)
- oni (Original Oni Options Configuration)
- windows (OS Interaction Options)
For names of all entries, and a brief help, see the "All Configuration Settings" section below for more information.
Command line options are still present in the beta Daodan although the syntax is a little different (and a bit more powerful.) The basic syntax for a command line option is this:
-<ini section>.<name> <value>
Where <ini section> is the Daodan.ini section (usually Patch or Options,) <name> is the option and <value> is the value to set it to (usually True or False.) Therefore, to disable sound, start Oni with this:
oni -options.sound false
When <ini section> is omitted, it is assumed to be options. When <value> is omitted, it is assumed to be true unless <name> starts with no (eg. nosound) in which case it is assumed to be false. So an easier way to write the above command would be:
Options or patches specified on the command line take precedence over options specified in Daodan.ini. Currently Oni's command line parser isn't powerful enough to parse language elements (no support for quoting arguments); this will be fixed in a later release.
All Configuration Settings
Below are the names of the configuration settings you can turn on and off in Daodan.ini (names and sections are case-insensitive). Also noted is whether the DLL has this patch turned on or off by default.
|INI Section||INI Name||Default||Description|
|[devmode]||highres_console||true||Fixes bug where console line becomes invisible at higher resolutions.|
|[devmode]||showtriggervolumes||true||Allows BSL variable "show_triggervolumes" and Ctrl+Shift+X (in devmode) to work.|
|[gameplay]||bindablecheats||true||Enables cheats to be bound to keys using key_config.txt. Requires "customactions" and "cheattable" to be on.|
|[gameplay]||characterawareness||true||Prevents AIs from forgetting about you when they are pursuing you and lose sight of you.|
|[gameplay]||cheatsenabled||true||Enables cheats without having to beat the game first. Required for using 'tellmetheversion'.|
|[gameplay]||cheattable||true||Replaces Oni's cheat table with table that includes new cheats (see section below). Required for using 'tellmetheversion'.|
|[gameplay]||cooldowntimer||true||Disables weapon cooldown exploit, e.g. dropping the Mercury Bow and picking it back up right away to reset weapon cooldown.|
|[gameplay]||customactions||true||Allows new bindable actions to be registered with the DLL, such as bindable cheats (if "bindablecheats" is on).|
|[gameplay]||kickguns||false||EXPERIMENTAL! Unfinished, do not use.|
|[gameplay]||pathfinding||true||Multiplies size of pathfinding grid cache by eight in order to prevent crashes in large levels.|
|[gameplay]||projaware||true||Allows AI to dodge incoming gunfire properly.|
|[gameplay]||throwtest||false||EXPERIMENTAL! Enables experimentation with allowing enemies to be thrown over railings.|
|[gameplay]||wpfadetime||true||Adds working function for existing BSL command wp_fadetime, sets fade time to 4800.|
|[graphics]||binkplay||true||Fixes binkplay calls to use GDI and outro same mode as intro.|
|[graphics]||daodangl||true||Provides an improved windowed mode (-noswitch); this patch is known to break the hiding of the Windows taskbar in fullscreen mode.|
|[graphics]||displayenum||true||Offers a more accurate list of available display modes in the Options menu.|
|[graphics]||gamma||true||Enables gamma slider in fullscreen, disables it in windowed mode.|
|[graphics]||newweap||true||Enables weapon info, so that standing above a weapon displays a message containing the weapon name and amount of ammo.|
|[graphics]||optionsvisible||true||Enables always showing the options button in main menu, even when pausing from a game.|
|[graphics]||showalllasersights||false||Enables visibility of all (also enemies') weapon lasersights|
|[graphics]||widescreenportraits||true||Prevents fly-in portraits from being stretched when playing in widescreen resolutions.|
|[language]||chinese||true||Allows Chinese fonts to be shown if the required DLL is available.|
|[language]||fonttexturecache||true||Doubles size of font texture cache.|
|[language]||language||en||Sets localization for hardcoded strings (e.g. "Savepoints").|
|[language]||nomultibyte||true||Enables languages which use multibyte coding (such as Chinese).|
|[modding]||argb8888||true||Enables the use of textures using ARGB8888.|
|[modding]||d_regen||true||Enables script command d_regen (query/set regeneration for any character).|
|[modding]||daodanbsl||true||Adds new BSL commands (see below).|
|[modding]||hdscreens_lowres||true||Allows HD intro/ending screens on game resolutions smaller than 1024x768.|
|[modding]||largetextures||true||Enables the use of textures up to 512x512.|
|[modding]||levelplugins||true||Allows level files that do not end in "_Final" to be loaded from the GDF.|
|[oni]||debug||false||Not useful; probably does nothing.|
|[oni]||debugfiles||false||Enables function logging; when active, BSL function calls are logged to script_debug.txt.|
|[oni]||findsounds||false||Not useful, extends output of sound_list_broken_links.|
|[oni]||ignore_private_data||false||Disables the loading of 'private data' in level0. Probably has no effect.|
|[oni]||switch||true||Enables always switching screen to resolution on Oni's Options screen, making the game fullscreen; opposite of Oni's built-in argument "noswitch".|
|[windows]||alttab||true||Allows user to switch applications while in Oni (Alt-Tab) and use the Windows key; however, it may enable the screensaver as well.|
|[windows]||border||true||Adds a border in windowed mode if '[graphics] daodangl' is active.|
|[windows]||clipcursor||true||Limits cursor to Oni's window.|
|[windows]||directinput||true||Forces on DirectInput. Should be off for Linux/Wine.|
|[windows]||disablecmdline||true||Disables Oni's existing command line parser as Daodan has its own.|
|[windows]||killvtune||false||Prevents loading of vtuneapi.dll.|
|[windows]||safeprintf||true||Replaces Oni's function that prints to startup.txt with a safer one.|
|[windows]||topmost||false||Keeps game window on top in windowed mode, even when switching applications.|
|[windows]||usegettickcount||true||Replaces Oni's timing functions with more accurate ones.|
Added cheat codes
- Player takes less weapon damage.
- Player is unkillable (will not go below 1HP).
- Player takes no weapon damage.
- Player can make super-high jumps.
- Player can fly by holding down jump key.
- Extra difficulty mode; player always has 1HP, but also is immune to weapons, and the enemy AI cannot hear the player.
Added BSL functions
Any time a function can both get and set a value, and you set the value, the old value should be returned, barring any programming oversight by Gumby.
- int int32mul n1:int n2:int
- Multiplies two integers
- float mul [int1:int|float1:float] [int2:int|float2:float]
- Multiplies two numbers
- int int32div n1:int n2:int
- Divides two integers
- float div [int1:int|float1:float] [int2:int|float2:float]
- Divides two two numbers
- int int32rand start:int end:int
- Returns a pseudo-random number between two numbers (inclusive).
- int d_getkills [ai_name:str | script_id:int]
- Gets the number of kills a character has
- int d_getdamage [ai_name:str | script_id:int]
- Gets the amount of damage a character has caused
- string d_name [ai_name:str | script_id:int] [newname:string]
- Gets or sets a character's name
- string d_regen [ai_name:str | script_id:int] on_off:bool
- Gets or sets a character's regeneration (like elderrune for the player)
- int d_getindex [ai_name:str]
- Gets a character's script_id from their name
- int d_powerup ai_name:str|script_id:int powerup:str [newcount:int]
- Gets or sets the amount of powerups a character has
- Powerup list the same as with chr_givepowerup with the addition of "bossshield"
- int d_health [ai_name:str | script_id:int] [newhealth:int]
- Gets or sets a character's health
- int d_maxhealth [ai_name:str | script_id:int] [newmaxhealth:int]
- Gets or sets a character's maxhealth
- int d_holdkey [ai_name:string | script_id:int] keys frames:int
- Makes a character hold a key
- Possibly broken
- int d_isheld keys
- Checks if player is holding a key
- Possibly broken
- int d_waitforkey keys
- Waits for a keypress from the player
- int d_powerup [ai_name:string | script_id:int] powerup:string
- Gets or sets a character's powerups
- float d_location [ai_name:string | script_id:int] xyz:string
- Gets the XYZ coordinate of a character
- float d_location [ai_name:string | script_id:int] x:float y:float z:float
- Sets the XYZ coordinates of a character
- float d_distance [ai_name:string | script_id:int] [ai_name:string | script_id:int]
- Gets the distance between two characters
- int d_regen [ai_name:string | script_id:int] yesno:int
- Gets or sets a character's regeneration abilities
- void d_dprint text:string [textcolor: r b g] [shadowcolor: r b g]
- Prints to console in color
- Colors are ints between 0 and 255. Other numbers will be reduced to 255.
- Any colors you do not supply will be replaced with the default values: 255, 255, 255 and 63, 63. 63
- string sprintf str1:format ...
- Does a C-style sprintf operation on a string
Note: Unsupported by community. There is also a much older release of Daodan, referred to as FASM-Daodan. This is the original version by SFeLi. Unlike the C-Daodan, FASM-Daodan requires a different DLL to be downloaded depending on which Oni.exe is used. It does not support the newer Daodan features such as windowed mode, however it still contains the basic patches such as the Windows XP fix and the custom cheats.
Download a ZIP containing the DLLs for an experimental (unstable) FASM-Daodan This includes the projectile awareness patch and support for any language (except Chinese and Japanese).